Through a varied career, Fred has worn many hats – from an ESL instructor in China to a university instructor in professional writing, from a freelance consultant (aka writer for hire) to a strategic communications specialist for a Canadian icon (Rick Hansen, the Man In Motion).
Right now, he works at Western University as a fundraising and communications officer with Alumni Relations & Development. In this role, Fred develops and delivers strategic communications that encourage stakeholders to donate to the university.
Fred has been an IABC member since 2002, and has been honoured with a pair of Virtuoso Awards and Silver Leaf Awards in 2014, as well as a Gold Quill Award in 2015 for his work in fundraising communications at Western. After spending many years in Vancouver, he moved to London, Ont., in 2012. (And yes, people ask him all the time, “Why did you leave Vancouver?”)
- Act as a liaison for members and non-members to the Global Communications Certification Council
- Ensure members receive timely and accurate information about Communications Management
- Professional Certification program exam dates and locations
- Connect and engage with IABC London’s Accredited Business Communicators (ABCs) and other senior professionals in the region
- Prepare monthly portfolio report, to be presented at IABC London board meetings
- Train successor to this role.