Meet this month’s featured Member Laura Dockstader.
- Where do you work? What is your role, including responsibilities and projects?
I am the Coordinator, Communication and Public Affairs, St. Joseph’s Health Care London. I manage a team of 10 staff at present, which supports the following services: corporate communication and public relations, conference services, clinical photography/videography/AV services.
- How long have you been an IABC member?
Since 1998, when I started as a Student Liaison to the Fanshawe program.
- In your opinion, what are the benefits of being an IABC member? What resources offered by IABC have you taken advantage of?
I attend professional development events with my local chapter that support the work I do each day. I participate in the Virtuoso Awards program as well, both as an entrant and a judge. I also participate in the LinkedIn group for IABC International and access webinars, for example, for professional development.
- What area(s) of communications are you passionate about?
Employee engagement; patient/public relations; strategic planning; issues management.
- Tell us about an important project or achievement from your career.
I’ve enjoyed many exciting milestones in my time at St. Joseph’s. In recent history I’d have to say that the opening of two new mental health care facilities within the past 3 years was a huge achievement for my organization and my team. I would also say that within the last year, our launch of a new corporate strategic plan—along with our award winning supporting communication strategy—was a great success.
- Do you have any advice for students, future communicators or those starting out in this field?
You never know what small opportunities might lead to bigger ones. Get out there and connect, network and volunteer—it might just land you a great career or rewarding relationship or experience.
- What do you like the best about your profession?
Connecting with a wide variety of stakeholders and bringing them to common purpose through solid communication planning.
Thank you for sharing your insights with us Laura, as well as all of your contributions to IABC London! If you want to connect with Laura, click here.