QUALITIES OF A GOOD MENTOR
A good mentor is:
- Knowledgeable and compassionate, with great coaching/teaching skills
- Committed to helping mentees find success and fulfillment in the profession
- Successful in and an advocate for the profession
- Invested in empowering the mentor to develop their own strengths, beliefs and personal attributes
TIPS FOR SUCCESSFUL MENTORS
- Be approachable and available
- Remember who the relationship is about/check your biases and impulses
- Set goals and expectations
- Share failures as well as success
- Be honest
- Open doors
- Do an informal needs assessment
- Be accountable to your mentee and vice versa (be accountable to each other)
Serving as a mentor helped increase my own confidence in my own career development and that the professional development I had worked on was of value as well. It really was reassuring to know that someone else was able to benefit from the mentoring and development work that I had received along the way, and made me feel more assured as an intermediate communications professional that I had the knowledge and skills expected of that level of career. It’s motivating to pay it forward and I gained a great deal of satisfaction from sharing and contributing to my mentee’s growth as he launches a bright future for his career.Andrew Kaszowski (2021)
HOW TO BECOME A MENTOR
If you feel you would be a good fit as a mentor with IABC London and have not been approached, however, please complete our Mentor Questionnaire.
All Mentors will need to complete a Mentor Questionnaire, to allow us to make the best match for you and your mentee.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.