Mission Services of London (MSL), a Christian faith-based, not-for-profit social service agency, seeks a Communications & PR Coordinator. This individual will advance the organization’s mission, vision, values and objectives by assisting in the planning, and by implementing, both internal and external strategies that inform/inspire varied audiences to action.
The Communications & PR Coordinator will access internal and external resources, and collaborate with media, community members, staff and other stakeholders to generate positive public and internal awareness of MSL, as well as to advocate and facilitate fundraising for important client needs/programs.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Assisting in the development, execution, measurement/reporting and continuous improvement of all aspects of Communications & PR plans for the organization (including the areas of fundraising, awareness/public education, advocacy, crisis communications and internal communications)
- Graphic design, crafting and coordinating distribution of print and online marketing materials such as newsletters, event invitations, brochures, online ads and social media postings among others
- Liaise with other staff and external vendors to produce organization and fundraising related pieces and advertising as appropriate (e.g. print, TV or radio ads; Annual Report; funding proposals and stewardship reports; event marketing materials; program information brochures; presentation slide decks; videos; etc.)
- Act as primary media liaison, achieving media exposure by both initiating and responding to PR opportunities in print, web and broadcast formats; create and distribute media releases and articles
- Collaborate with staff and other stakeholders (e.g. civic, legislative, professional, non-profit and volunteer organizations) to both proactively and reactively share information or carry out advocacy/education efforts
- Create content for and maintain all aspects of the organization’s websites and social media; support aspects of MSL’s direct marketing efforts (e.g. deployment of e-blasts and execution of social media ad campaigns)
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, English or related discipline
- 3+ years of experience in Communications and/or PR including communications planning, brand management, media relations and audience engagement
- Experience in promoting non-profit programs and fundraising campaigns/events, while understanding charitable giving and working closely with fundraising teams is a definite asset
- Excellent public speaking, verbal and written communication skills, with strong writing and editorial abilities
- Creative and persuasive storyteller that can adjust style/language to the audience and medium; ability to visualize the coming together of images, graphics and copy to make a compelling case, leading to marketing/promotional materials that spark audience response to a call to action (e.g. donate, volunteer, advocate, purchase tickets)
- Excellent organization and project management skills while balancing multiple competing priorities/deadlines
- Calmness writing/designing materials under pressure, while maintaining a thorough eye for detail/accuracy and speed
- Deep command of grammar, spelling, punctuation and syntax
- Expertise in Communications & PR best practices
- Proficiency in relevant computer-based tools: Adobe Creative Suite (a must); MS Office; WordPress; social media sites; MailChimp; Hootsuite; media, advertising, website and social media analytics tools (e.g. Google Analytics, Facebook Insights). Knowledge of HTML, CSS and Raiser’s Edge or Salesforce is an asset
- Strong interviewing and research skills with ability to summarize into clear, concise and compelling communications (can extract a meaningful story from those who may not know how to tell a story)
- Team player who adapts when priorities change and is open to receiving feedback/edits from stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to work independently and as part of a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team
- Comfort negotiating gifts-in-kind/discounts from service providers to magnify reach of Communications & PR budget
- Valid driver’s license and unlimited access to a vehicle (role requires regular out-of-office meetings)
- Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm; expectation to work some evenings and weekends as needed.
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter, resume and salary expectations to:
Ericka Ayala Ronson
Director of Development & Communications
4-797 York St
We appreciate your interest, and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Mission Services of London is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If contacted for an interview, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
Consider sharing this position with a colleague, and if you apply, kindly let the employer know you found it listed on London.iabc.com!