A 2016 survey of 700 communication leaders found only 7% reported to the CEO or equivalent. And 52% agreed the department is not involved in strategic decisions early enough to impact the effectiveness of communications.
In this interactive workshop, seasoned communicator Priya Bates provides practical tips for building the brand of your communication function.
Priya will share case studies of communicators who moved from order-taker to strategic advisor, cautionary tales of communicators resistant to change, and her lessons learned from years working inside and outside large organizations.
Priya will also discuss lessons communicators can apply from the HR profession, which recently rebranded its practitioners from administrators to strategic business partners. What can communicators do to rebrand themselves similarly?
Following Priya’s presentation, participants will break into roundtable discussions to tackle specific challenges they face in their organizations today. Facilitated by seasoned communicators and HR leaders, these roundtables encourage participants to learn from peers, apply insights from the presentation, and leave the session with a practical plan of action.
- Build the credibiilty of your role or team.
- Identify actions you can take today to advance your career in your organization.
- Earn the respect of senior leaders and a seat at the decision-making table.
What you will learn:
- Lessons from HR in rebranding a profession.
- The internal partnerships every communicator should foster.
- Specific words and language to embrace – and avoid – when building a brand for yourself and your comms organization.
- The elements of the communication plan you can’t afford to ignore
Who should attend:
- Mid-career communicators keen to assume more responsibility in their organizations
- Technical experts (videographs, graphic designers, content writers) looking to transition to a broader comms function.
- Seasoned communicators willing to share their insights and experiences with peers
- Executives who have communicators in their organization and want to maximize their impact.
- Professionals in fields similar to communications, such as fundraising and HR, who are keen to strengthen their currency internall
Priya Bates, ABC, MC, CMP, IABC Fellow
Priya Bates is an award-winning professional communicator with a passion for driving strong performance from the inside out. As President and owner of Inner Strength Communication, Priya builds strategic internal communication, engagement, branding and transformational change plans that help connect the dots between business strategy and employee delivery. In her 20+ year career, Priya has led communication for organizations including Loblaw Companies Limited, HP Canada and Compaq Canada. Priya is an Accredited Business Communicator (ABC) and recently became one of the first Certified Communication Management Professionals (CMP) in the world. In 2010, she received the Master Communicator (MC) designation, the highest honour bestowed upon a communication professional from IABC Canada. In 2016, she was recognized as an IABC Fellow, a global lifetime achievement award for her contribution to the profession. Priya is also a passionate volunteer with the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC), most recently leading the organization’s global rebranding effort.
When: March 26, 2018
Time: 5:30-7:00 p.m.
Location: Innovation Works | 201 King Street, London, ON
Tickets: $15 Students | $20 Members | $35 Non-Members
RSVP Registration closes on March 25th at 3 p.m.