Job Title: Marketing & Communications Coordinator
Faculty/Unit: Housing and Ancillary Services
Department: Housing Office – Marketing
Employee Group: PMA – Professional and Managerial Association
Appointment Type: Continuing
Appointment Status: Regular Full-Time
Hours per Week: 35 hours
Salary Grade: 14
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the “Western Experience” – an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Division of Housing and Ancillary Services is committed to providing a first-class experience in the areas of housing, hospitality services, and retail services for undergraduate/graduate students and their families, staff and faculties at the Western communities, while supporting the academic mission of the University and ensuring profitability and cost effectiveness of the operation.
Through an integrated effort focusing on honest, open and consistent communication, Marketing and Communications provides the leadership needed to help the Division of Housing and Ancillary Services create and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with students and other stakeholders vital to the Division’s growth and development. Marketing and Communications brings marketing perspectives and strategies into the Division’s decision-making and planning. It provides leadership, expertise and services that enhance the quality and effectiveness of the Division’s communications projects and programs.
Supported by the leadership of the Director, Marketing and Communications, the primary responsibility of this position is to develop and implement an integrated marketing and communication plan that aligns with the strategic objectives of the University, and effectively promotes the services offered by the Division to students, staff, faculty and the community. The Coordinator will implement comprehensive marketing initiatives that support the brand promotion and leads generation for the various service areas within the Division. The efforts and success of this role have a direct impact on the Division’s brand image and its revenue targets.
- Bachelor’s Degree specializing in business, marketing, communications or public relations
- Master’s Degree in a related field preferred
- 5 years’ experience in marketing and communications or public relations with demonstrated success
- Marketing Agency and/or digital marketing experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Strategic thinking and problem solving skills with a proven ability to generate workable and creative ideas, concepts and techniques
- Strong project management skills with an ability to execute creative and cost effective marketing and communications projects and maintain a number of projects simultaneously with competing timelines and priorities
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms and how they can be deployed in different scenarios
- Understanding of Web tools to drive recruitment and brand promotion
- Superior demonstrated presentation and communication skills with the ability to write in both marketing and journalistic styles
- High level of proficiency in proofreading and editing including excellent grammar and spelling
- Strong analytic research skills and the ability to use market research information strategically to improve and enhance communications to target audiences in support of the Division and University brand
- Results oriented with excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and on own initiative
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite and strong understanding of web analytics
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams
- Ability to work within a flexible schedule to accommodate the University’s events/activities and travel on occasion
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.
Please apply to position reference #13341 – Marketing & Communications Coordinator directly online at Working at Western on or before Monday, May, 28 2018.