Northern delivers Omni-Channel Commerce Solutions, designed and developed with the latest open source technology. We specialize in building Magento eCommerce implementations and full service eCommerce marketing solutions. Our goal is to help businesses reap the benefits of web-based technologies to decrease costs and maximize their bottom line.
We are currently seeking talented and motivated Junior Web Developersthat are passionate about web development and eCommerce to join our team located in London. As a Junior Web Developer at Northern, you are expected to implement efficient, clean code and maintain the highest standards in all of your work.
A College diploma, University degree, or relevant job-related experience. We welcome highly experienced, self-taught, and self-motivated learners who express a strong passion for web development.
In exchange for your talent and expertise, Northern is committed to providing competitive compensation, health benefits, flexible work schedules, delicious meals, company retreats, opportunities for growth and professional development, and a fun, supportive environment that will allow you to be your best!
- Ability to use PHP programming language to implement efficient solutions; ability to use PHP, HTML, CSS, JS technologies to develop tableless layouts from designs in accordance with best practices and industry standards.
- Plan, design, and implement web application content and features.
- Communicate with management and development teams to prioritize needs, resolve conflicts, develop state-of-the-art solutions.
- Implement and ensure all application code is valid, properly structured, well documented, meets industry standards and is compatible with modern and legacy browsers, devices, and operating systems.
- Participate in the peer code review process and provide constructive feedback and support to peer developers.
- Maintain understanding of current and emerging web technologies and programming practices.
- Ability to interact with MySQL database systems through abstraction layer and the ability to write raw complex SQL queries.
- Familiarity with source control (e.g. GIT) and the ability to manage source code for multiple projects in accordance with best practices and industry standards. Knowledge of the command line interface to manage projects through source control.
- Ability to use modern development tools, such as PHPStorm effectively, and a strong understanding of development tools such as SASS, nodejs, NPM, bower, gulp, etc.
- English Language – Knowledge and understanding of the English language; including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Ability to use modern development tools, such as PHPStorm effectively, and a strong understanding of development tools such as SASS, nodejs, NPM, bower, gulp, etc. is an asset.
- Maintain understanding of current web technologies and programming best-practices through continuing education, self-directed research, participation in conferences, forums, workshops, and / or group discussions.
- Must understand the importance of application performance and should always be motivated to design optimized solutions.
- Effective Communication – Effectively manage all aspects of client and project-specific work; be understanding to the team’s needs and proactively provide updates, project results, insights, reporting, and additional knowledge to the assigned Project Manager.
- Flexibility – Actively seek personal and organizational growth opportunities that benefit any aspect of your job or the organizations as a whole (productivity, customer service etc.). Acceptance and openness to change, the introduction of new ideas and the creativity of others.
- Self-motivation – Expressed interest to self-improve on an ongoing basis; facilitate self-learning and teaching other team members. Interest in emerging technologies and their impact on our business strategies and models.
- Problem Solving – Anticipate, identify and systematically analyze problems and opportunities in a timely and efficient manner. Strong initiative to design, document and implement complex solutions.
- Organization – Highly organized, detail oriented, and effectively manage many concurrent activities at a given time.
- Communication – Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and effective manner both verbally and in writing. Ability to convey ideas, thoughts, issues and information to other team members effectively.
- Team Participation – Recognize and encourage the contribution of others, while working together to achieve project timelines and accomplish project goals. Ability to support the team vision, devise decisions, and resolve team conflicts if necessary.
- Quality Management – Follow industry best practices and the highest standards in programming. Implement efficient, well-documented and structured technical solutions.
- Time Management – Use time appropriately; including meeting deadlines, establishing priorities, analyzing alternatives and taking action. Strategically allocate and self-manage resources effectively. Ability to begin the work day on time, including but not limited to meetings, phone conversations, appointments, etc.
- Accountability – Take ownership and responsibility for all project tasks / outcomes; which includes the quality, quantity, resource management and timeliness of all work. Follow policies and procedures accordingly to complete assigned tasks correctly and on budget while supporting the organization’s goals and values. Self-manage project tasks and proactively question any issues, concerns, methods etc.
- Working Relationships – Take a cooperative team approach when completing work; employ flexibility and maintain a positive and constructive attitude towards all team and project members, shareholders, clients etc. Ability to demonstrate good relations with all employees, peers and/or supervisors.
- Integrity – Ability to maintain honesty and integrity in the workplace; including representing the company through off site meetings, conferences, activities etc.
- Advanced HTML5 and CSS3 knowledge
- Experience with LAMP and LNMP Development Stack (Linux(Ubuntu), Apache/Nginx, MySQL, PHP)
- Experience with Git Source Control and best practices (Branching etc.)
- Experience with PHP 5, OOP, MVC, XML/XSLT, REST
- Experience with MySQL databases, data modeling/design technique and database tuning
- Experience with eCommerce or similar web applications
- Zend Framework
- Symfony/Codeigniter Framework
- WordPress Application
- Drupal Application
- Amazon Web Services
- Facebook, Twitter, Google (Maps), Geocoding API
- Front-end build tools such as bower, sass, gulp, etc.
- Front-end frameworks such as Bootstrap and Foundation
- Unit tests, test driven development, and PHPUnit
- Magento Development & Administration
- Magento Application Performance Optimization
- Magento Caching using Redis, Memcache, Varnish
- Knowledge of any additional languages, such as Java, Python, C++, Ruby, etc.
At Northern we recognize that experience comes in many different forms. If your experience is similar to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. We know that the best problem-solving and creative thinkers are those with thought diversity; that’s why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to our team.
Equity and Diversity
Northern invites applications from all qualified individuals. Northern is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from all individuals, including but not limited to members of visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require any accommodations please let us know when you apply.